Saturday, January 22, 2011

Can Alfalfa sprout in Singapore's climate?

Now that hubbs is quite well again, and baby is almost 2, I can get back to tornado-ing about in the kitchen, and in the "garden".

I've caught the sprouting bug... my first attempt in sprouting alfalfa was very successful, much to my surprise. I ate the whole lot at one go after I greened them up!

Instructions:-

1) Soak about 2 tablespoons of seeds in a glass jar overnight (use a jar which holds about 800ml of liquid)

2) Drain the water the next morning and leave in dark place

3) Wash and drain the seeds on the same evening; repeat the rinsing and washing every 12 hours until the sprouts are about 1 inch in length

4) Put them near the window to green the leaves

5) Shake off the hulls and store in the fridge

I didn't quite get to the last step coz' I was too eager to try my sprouts and they tasted great!

Dredful pics taken with my mobile phone. I made a bigger batch of sprouts, now sitting in the fridge coz' they taste better chilled. I alfalfa in my sandwiches!




















Day 2
















Day 5 -- All done!

I'm now sprouting sunflower, even yummier! I haven't managed to get the black seeds for sprouting and growing sunflowers, so I'm trying with birdseed from the pet shop... hope it works! Getting them to a grow to a crunchy green is quite tricky, requires soil and all. I managed to get mustard, lettuce, tung o and corriander seeds today! Time for more experimentation! :D

No comments: