Thursday, March 31, 2011

Atta Hot Cross Bun Recipe

I've been teaching my daughter to sing the nursery rhyme "Hot Cross Buns... Hot Cross Buns...". She sings "Hot hot buns... hot hot buns!". LOL




















Here is my own recipe for making hot cross buns using Atta. I did without the icing glaze this time, but next week I will make them with icing!

Ingredients:

650g atta flour
2 teaspoon instant yeast (or use 1 sachet)
1 tablespoon milk powder
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup warm water
1 egg
150g mixed dried fruit
egg + a dash of milk for glazing

Combine all the dry ingredients (leave out the dried fruit) and mix well, then add the water and egg.
Knead for about 10 minutes (I use the dough hook on my kitchen mixer)
Combine in the dried fruit until evenly mixed.
Leave to rise for 1 hour.
Shape the dough into balls (about 5cm in diameter) and leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to about 210 degrees.
Use a knife to cut a cross on each bun and glaze.
Bake for about 15 minutes.

Yummy Icing:

3 tablespoons icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Place in a piping bag and draw a cross on the buns :)

"Don't take my hot hot bun!"

No comments: