Friday, June 1, 2007

Ba Li Tong



My sister-in-law first described this exotic food many years ago. She talked about the knocking and sucking at the shell, picking at it with a toothpick, really got me curious...

I actually didn't even get to try it till 3 years ago, in Penang. And one more time in Changi Village. This time I saw a whole bag of it being sold for just $2. They are nice and fresh, still moving!

Despite the way they look, they're really good. That is if you can contort your lips effectively around the openings to get to the small morsels of flesh hidden in the spiral shells.

It's a negative calorie food I tell you. The amount of energy expanded in extracting those guys exceeds the calories they contain. Oh, but I forgot to account for the dipping sauce: chinchalok, garlic, chilli sauce and lime. Sorry!

No comments: